This large sugar refinery on the outskirts of Kidderminster was formerly rail connected from the Severn Valley Railway at Foley Park. Rail traffic from the internal railway ceased in the late 1970's although the sugar plant remained in operation until the end of the 2001/2 campaign. There were originally steam locomotives here but steam working ended 1/1969. Diesel traffic continued through the 1970's but rail traffic had ceased by 25th October 1982 and the last remaining locomotives were sold soon after. There was also a rail connection through the yard to Smethwick Drop Forgings.
The sidings into sugar factory led off to the right towards the towers of the sugar refinery.
Photograph taken by Andrew Smith on 4th September 2001.
The map above is an extract from the 1882/3 Ordnance Survey map of the area (revised 1925/6).
No.1 0-4-0ST AB 1843 of 1925 (sold for scrap 6/1969)
No.2 0-4-0ST AB 1931 of 1927 (to Wissington sugar factory 1962)
No.3 0-4-0ST AB 2248 of 1948 (to Wissington sugar factory 6/1969)
The three steam locomotives were all here from new.
- 0-4-0DE RH 408866 of 1959 (from 2/1961 to moved for scrap 5/10/1983)
- 0-4-0DM RH 281269 of 1950 (from 1/1969 to moved to Severn Valley Railway for preservation 8/9/1983)